PinIt

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Medicinal Inclusions to the Garden, Part 1 - Garlic

After my son’s fourth ear infection in four months, I started doing research for at home remedies. I found an herbal remedy that included garlic! Who would have thought! Though I should have known, garlic is good for everything – including sinus infections, sore throats, and earaches! It’s funny too, because I just planted 40 in the garden-if only they were ready now…

The home remedy I found for an ear infection was from Live Strong. Visit their site for more detailed instructions.
The basic instructions to make and use the infusion are:
  1.  Use Sweet Oil (preferred) or Light Olive Oil;
  2. Crush 5 peeled cloves, fresh garlic (ensure you use fresh because it has the highest amount of antioxidants, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial properties);
  3. Soak the crushed cloves in warm oil on the stove for about an hour. Careful not to boil or simmer – just keep it warm;
  4. After an hour the infusion is finished. Remove from heat and store in refrigerator, with or without cloves included. Now you have Garlic Oil. (Never keep garlic oil at room temperature; it can develop botulism spores over time.)
  5. To use for an ear infection – with the child laying on his/her side, drop a few drops of warm infusion into the infected ear, place a cotton ball in the ear to keep it from draining out.
  6. Have him/her lay, without moving, for 10 minutes. Repeat as needed.
  7. If you suspect an erupted eardrum, do not use the infusion.
Unfortunately I didn’t have a chance to try this remedy. His fever was too high (ranging from 104-106) so we took him in and now he’s on an antibiotic.
But now I’m eager to learn more about herbal remedies as I already have a collection of plants, flowers, and herbs that have medicinal properties! My collection includes: Lemon Balm, Borage, Calendula, Blue Hyssop, Lavender, Aloe, Rosemary, & Mint.
As I embark on my journey into herbal medicines, I’ll share what I learn with y’all by writing a Spotlight. This week the Spotlight is – Garlic. Garlic is an antimicrobial plant, which fights bacteria, viruses, and parasites.
In addition to the Garlic Infusion (above); you can make a Garlic Oil, to drink when battling a respiratory illness, such as bronchitis, the common cold, the flu, or congestion. To make and use the oil:
  1. Mash one or more bulbs of garlic;
  2. Cover with enough Apple Cider Vinegar or Olive Oil to cover the garlic. Mix well;
  3. Allow to stand for a couple days;
  4. Strain through cheesecloth, squeezing the garlic to ensure you have all the juice;
  5. Store in the refrigerator;
  6. To use: Add to food; or take ½ tsp every hour.
Hope you enjoyed today’s Spotlight!
This was shared at The Old Time Party, Green Thumb Thursday, and the HomeAcre Hop!
-:Live Simple, Be Happy-
 

7 comments:

  1. Be careful! Be very very careful!!
    I learned the hard way...we used this on our daughter skin for a fungal infection...she ended up with 3rd degree burns from the Garlic Oil at room temperature!

    If anyone complains or tells you that it is stinging or burning them even if it is directly out of the fridge and still Cold to the touch, wash it off immediately!

    She has a very nasty scar from this ordeal...just be in-tune with any signal or indication of discomfort or pain!

    I can not imagine how horrible it would be to have 3rd degree burns in the ear on top of an ear infection!!! I have always used Sweet Oil to help relieve the pain of ear infections...it works and feels especially comforting when 'warmed' slightly by running the bottle under warm tap water for a few minutes before use.

    Also be aware when using herbs and natural herbal remedies when pregnant...as there are some herbs that can cause a harm and even death to the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thanks for the heads up and tip -- I'll be very careful and cautious!

      Delete
  2. I love learning more about medicinal herbs. I always prefer to treat something using natural methods if at all possible. One of my favorite herbal remedies is ginger tea with honey and lemon for a sore throat. It really works!

    I'm glad garlic has so many good properties because basically everything I cook has garlic in it! Most of my recipes start with onion and garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have used an herbal remedy for ear infections for a lot of years. We had one daughter that got them frequently.
    I have never made it we just buy ours from a health food store.
    It has garlic and two other ingredients that I cannot think of right this minute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that garlic has healing properties. I haven't tried it myself, but I do try to do natural when possible. Thank you kindly for boot scootin’ on over to the Old Time Party!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Missy, hopped over from Old Time Party. I just bought garlic to plant. Have never tried it before. I haven't used it for any home remedies, but sure love it in cooking. Thanks for sharing all of it's many uses.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and great info! We have lots of garlic coming along in our garden now. Thank you for sharing this at the HomeAcre Hop! Look forward to seeing you tomorrow: http://blackfoxhomestead.com/the-homeacre-hop/

    ReplyDelete